Tuesday, October 28, 2008

New Eyes

Help me to see with new eyes,
my vision is dim,
clouded with pride,
reduced by my sin.
Getting frustrated
with gifts I don’t have;
but I don’t turn to you,
why would I do that?
You only made everything,
hold it all in your hands;
You only gave grace,
that I can’t understand;
You only spoke peace,
broke the chains I once wore;
Only carried a cross
that I should have bore.

Help me see with new eyes,
for mine have a plank;
as I question this calling,
think I made a mistake.
Lethargic with truth
You entrusted me with;
because I’m not seeing fruit
when I pour into this.
I want to press on,
have zeal that’s unmoved-
but that’s nearly impossible
if my eyes aren’t on you;
stay “joyful in hope, patient in affliction,
faithful in prayer,”
that’s Paul’s ammunition;
joyful in hope-when things go my way;
patient and faithful?
Don’t know what to say;
Does it count as a prayer,
if I’m yelling at you?
How do I listen?
What do you speak through?

Help me see with new eyes,
for mine get distracted
with the treasures around me,
need these lenses retracted;
I whine, “it’s not fair”
when I can’t pay my bills,
yet I look like the world,
lavished with frills.
Walk by those with nothing,
tragic smile on my face,
as my eyes tell them, “sorry”
but my wallet won’t break.
And I’m far too important
to wear rags like that,
so I walk past these beggars,
refuse to look back.
Sacrifice nothing,
because I say that I can’t,
forgetting what He did,
As my image I revamp.

I can almost feel you,
looking at me;
sorrowful eyes
that want to set my soul free;
Your eyes want so much more
than the things that I grasp,
like the guidance you’d give me,
if only I’d ask;
They are the most beautiful
eyes I have seen;
The ones that see everything,
yet choose to love me.
Refusing to turn
from the garbage they see;
unspeakable rottenness
that’s rooted in me;
Forgiveness eternal,
mercy that lasts-
Lord, give me new eyes;
new eyes like that…

No comments: