Thursday, June 26, 2008

Road to Righteousness

*Inspired from the book of Ruth...quite possibly my favorite book of the Bible.

With the map of the world
I’ve set out on a quest,
Where can one find
The road to righteousness?

I’ve treaded thick water
But this sin holds me down
Gasped for fresh air
But I’m starting to drown
A life of mediocrity
Is what I’d settled for;
Eating mud pies for meals,
And sleeping on the floor.

A longing for romance-
To be swept off my feet
Waiting for prince charming,
When will we meet?
But I can’t do much better
Then what I’ve got now
On the same piece of land
I’ll keep pulling this plow.

Left and forgotten;
Widowed, bemoaned
I’m searching for something,
But I can’t find the road.
Hope is a companion
That I no longer know
Spend my days reaping barley
And bringing it home.

Then faith found a voice
And chance caused a stir
Directing me to proceed
Down to the threshing floor.
“Lie at his feet,
Humble yourself.
There’s a kinsman redeemer,
He can offer you help!”
Vulnerability,
Found beauty with
Forgiveness;
My whole heart as an offering
I couldn’t give less.
I can engage this grace;
Or keep step with the rest;
But I think I have found
The road to righteousness.

The fairy tale I had longed for
Pales in comparison to this;
He delivered me from poverty;
Established me as rich.
I don’t deserve Your mercy
So all You say I will do,
Forever consecrated,
Sanctified in You.
Now I have this promise-
I am His and He is mine.
For my life has been bought
With the precious blood of Christ.

So dear friend, if you hunger
For a life that’s more than this;
Leave your life of ordinary
And take this humble risk.
Opening His arms,
Victory and power already His;
God’s one and only Son
Paved the road to righteousness.

No comments: